Friday, August 3, 2007

Plastic - The Topic of the Day

Oh, boy. Plastic surgery is a topic that I held near and dear for many, many moons.

I was teased cruelly in elementary school because I was "blessed" with a slightly upturned nose a little on the large side. If I ever hear the term "ski slope nose" again, it will be much too soon.

Needless to say, by the time I was 16, I knew that, more than anything, I wanted rhinoplasty. I just knew that surgery would cure my schnozz-related isses. Only the lack of money prevented me from having the work done.

Several years later, I unfortunately happened upon a Discovery Channel show dedicated to cosmetic surgeries. And, after watching the doctor hack away at that poor unfortunate soul's nose with an actual hammer, the patient's head banging against the operating table, my dreams of a perfect nose came to a screeching halt.

Right around that time, I also changed my mind about breast augmentation. Imagine that.

We live in a society obsessed with looks. As little girls, our idols were supposed to be supermodels, actresses and Barbie, all of whom were perfect. The magazines available for us as tween and teenagers featured girls our age that were much skinnier and prettier than we were, with big boobs and perfect noses and skin. It's no wonder that by the time we were in junior high, most of us girls already had low self-esteem and hated our looks, and by the time we reached high school, were already contemplating cosmetic surgeries!

Now, don't get me wrong. There are a lot of newer, less invasive procedures out there these days designed to help us age more gracefully, and though I have opted not to ever have that boob job, I certainly am not turning my nose up at a Lifestyle Lift or something similar when my years of squinting finally catch up.

As long as I don't end up looking like the "Cat Woman." Meow ... ouch.

-Diana Banana

3 comments:

Rice Spice said...

I was never a big fan of Tara Reid, but I did feel for her when she got her botched tummy tuck. Imagine going in having paid to come out with a stomach that's flat as a board, then you end up waking up being the owner of the now infamous "Franken-tummy". So sad!

Anonymous said...

Botched plastic surgeries are another, though less compelling (because they really are rather infrequent, "special" cases) reason why I chose not to have any major surgeries. Just the thought of having boobs like Tara Reid's or a face like that Jocelyn woman ... you go in THINKING you look bad, and come out KNOWING that you look WORSE. Ack!

Anonymous said...

Great work.